Never flashy enough to be a public figure, Steve Hunter is the musicians’ choice when it comes to giving a piece a flavor it needs, that’s why his guitar adorns albums by such diverse artists as Lou Reed, Peter Gabriel and Alice Cooper as well as David Lee Roth and AEROSMITH. Another Steve H. in the line of Howe, Hackett and Hillage, Hunter’s solo output has also always been of highest quality but none of his records boasted such a line-up as “The Manhattan Blues Project”, the veteran’s latest.
Having had a successful run exclusively on the maestro’s special site, now the album goes out in the wide world. It’s the most special one, given Steve’s latest health issues, and it has, among other guests, Tony Levin, who played with the guitarist on many a classic LP. Plus, “Daydream By The Hudson” is composed by Jason Becker, and there are two obvious covers: one by Marvin Gaye and the other by Peter Gabriel that had Hunter’s guitar on in the original version.
As for the details, here they are.
1. Prelude To The Blues
2. 222 W 23rd – with Michael Lee Firkins and Tommy Henriksen
3. Gramercy Park – with THE KAREN HUNTER SINGERS FROM CLOUD 9
4. A Night At The Waldorf – with Phil Aaberg
5. Solsbury Hill – with Tony Levin
6. Daydream By The Hudson
7. Flames At The Dakota
8. The Brooklyn Shuffle – with Johnny Depp and Joe Perry
9. What’s Going On
10. Ground Zero
11. Twilight In Harlem – with Joe Satriani and Marty Friedman
12. Sunset In Central Park – with Tony Levin and 2CELLOS
And here’s the review.