Nanci Griffith‘s passing on August 13th, 2021 left a huge, unfillable hole on the neo-country scene, the singer-songwriter having not only created the “folkabilly” subgenre but also contributed to the birth of what would be called Americana, what with her songs – those which brought the lady a Grammy and many others – covered by a variety of artists. No wonder, then, that September 22nd will see the issue of an album dedicated to her memory – or, rather, to the celebration of her talent.
Bearing the title of “More Than A Whisper” and prepared for release on CD, as a download and, minus a couple of tracks, on vinyl, it features Ms. Griffith’s most moving numbers delivered by Americana elite, including such prominent performers as Steve Earle and Emmylou Harris as well as the sadly departed John Prine – all giving their all to the beloved Nanci. A fitting homage.
1. You Can’t Go Home Again – Sarah Jarosz
2. Love At The Five & Dime – John Prine & Kelsey Waldon
3. Listen To The Radio – Billy Strings & Molly Tuttle
4. Love Wore A Halo (Back Before The War) – Emmylou Harris
5. Trouble In The Fields – Lyle Lovett & Kathy Mattea
6. Gulf Coast Highway – Brandy Clark
7. Outbound Plane – Shawn Colvin
8. Radio Fragile – Ida Mae *
9. It’s A Hard Life Wherever You Go – Steve Earle
10. Late Night Grande Hotel – Aaron Lee Tasjan
11. Ford Econoline – Todd Snider
12. Banks Of The Pontchartrain – Iris DeMent
13. More Than A Whisper – Mary Gauthier
14. From A Distance – THE WAR AND TREATY *